March 4, 2011

Happy Birthday To Me!

Today is my birthday. I am 41 years old.

I remember my 21st birthday, which was 20 years ago today. Twenty years. Two decades! That milestone seemed so far ahead of me when I was a teenager, but now twenty years have passed since I became "legal". I remember having a party (my mom and sisters sent me a stripper!) and chipping a tooth on a beer bottle while drunk that night. Today, at age 41, that tooth is still chipped. I remember a few days later going out to a bar for happy hour and ordering my first legitimate drink. I ordered a Midori Collins, and felt so grown up.

41 is not a big milestone; last year was a lot of hoopla for me. Yet being well entrenched now in my 40s is certainly reason to celebrate!

I used to be scared of getting older. I couldn't imagine being over 30! I was fearful of the aging process: wrinkles, sagging skin, losing the appearance of youth. Now, at age 41, I have yet to get my first wrinkle. I am often told that I look like I'm in my early 30s....and I certainly feel that way. In fact, with all of my exercise that I have been doing, I have never looked better---even when I was 21!

A few weeks ago, Oprah had several ex-supermodels on her show. One was Paulina Porizkova, and she said something that really hit me hard:

"Aging is a privilege, not a birthright. "

Wow.

I know so many people who didn't get to age. So many people who died when they were in their 50s; in their teens; in their infancies. It is not assumed that any of us will get old. So I am incredibly grateful that I am 41....and when I get those wrinkles, I hope to embrace them.

This past year has been incredible for me. In the last year, since I turned 40, I have completed 3 half marathons, 2 triathlons, and re-committed (for life, this time) to a lifetime of fitness. I helped to launch an educational foundation at my son's school, an endeavor that has been very time-consuming but well worth the effort. I have become even more comfortable in my own skin, and not only know who I am, but am learning how not to sweat the small stuff.

I am incredibly blessed; a very, very very lucky girl. I have a husband who loves me deeply; a son who delights me daily; a daughter who makes me so proud with all that she's overcome. I have a very supportive family, and feel the love of my mom, dad, step-mother, sisters, brothers-in-law, nieces and nephews across the states. I have a wide network of friends, including some friends who I am extremely close to and I know I can depend on, including my very, very best friend. I have a nice house, live in beautiful San Diego, and really want for nothing.

I am excited to see what my 40s bring. I am ready!

11 comments:

  1. Hey, we share birthdays! Happy birthday to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get out! Today is your birthday too?!?! Happy Birthday! Yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never have guessed you were in your forties. Happy Birthday! And I will stay here with you in the forties for six more months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) I HEART YOU!! :) Happy Birthday! You have the best attitude IN THE WORLD!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post SM! Happy Birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have so much to celebrate!!!
    Happy Birthday to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the vegetarian milestone, too, SM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved. Every. Word.

    Hope you had a good birthday friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post my friend! I must say I'm jealous of the no wrinkles! I have that typical frowny face wrinkle between my eyes, too many years spent scowling I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found your blog from Erica Sara. Happy Birthday! You truly seem like an amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!