November 14, 2010

Celebrating 10 Years of Marriage

A few days ago J and I celebrated 10 years of marriage. Ten years! A decade! For the most part, it seems like much shorter. Then again, we've been through so much in our married life that in other ways it seems like much longer. J being diagnosed with Young-Onset Parkinson's Disease at the age of 35 and having a medically fragile daughter are certainly things that most couples don't have to deal with early in marriage.

I am so thankful to J, as he allows me to be me. He stands by me as I search for my passions, for my meaning of life. I am NOT the same girl he married ten years ago. I have evolved so much. While my core is the same, and I hope I am a better version of who I was a decade ago, I know I am different. And that seems to be okay with J.

Whatever I want to do he supports, as he wants me to be happy and grow:

When I decided I wanted to get back into my working out, and added half marathons and triathlons to an already busy life, he not only readily watched the kids for hours on end while I exercised, but paid for my race entry fees, running shoes, a wetsuit, and all the expensive gear that comes with sport.

When I decided I wanted to launch an educational foundation at my son's elementary school, he encouraged me and even volunteered to maintain our website.

When I need a night out, whether it's going out to clubs with my best friend or having martinis with the girls, he practically pushes me out the door.

When I got into cooking a few years ago, he supported me signing up for cooking classes and is eager to try new dishes I prepare.

When I realized that I wanted to incorporate more Jewish tradition into our household, he loved that we started to celebrate Shabbat each weekend, among other holidays.

When I want to do something new (teach a class, join a book club, learn to play guitar) he is all for it.

When I get in a bad mood, he gives me the space I need to work my way out of it.

When I have a problem that needs solving, he tries to fix it.

Don't get me wrong.....no marriage is perfect and rosy. We've had our ups, and we've had our downs, but we always have each other's backs and get through it. I truly think I'm the yin to his yang....we complement each other so well. I could not think of a better partner, or husband, for myself.

8 comments:

  1. Mazel tov!! 10 years is a biggie!
    You know how there are "dog years", well 10 years is like 150 in "special needs years"!!!

    Enjoy it. And each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary!! He sounds like a wonderful man and father!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, congratulations and that is wonderful you have someone that supports you and challenges you at every turn. Here's to many more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! You're the best!

    J

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, J commented. :)

    Happy tenth anniversary! Sounds like you two have an awesome relationship. Congrats. I hope your next ten are even better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is such a wonderful tribute to your husband and your marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats you sound perfect for each other!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully written ... I virtually toast you both to another decade fillled with bliss.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!