April 21, 2010

On the Wagon!

I wanted to give an update about my caffeine addiction. I had written a few weeks back that I am trying to detox. I am proud to say that I have been pretty successful!

First, I have not bought Diet Coke for the house in over two weeks. I had been drinking between 1-2 cans a day, and now I have none. I have had a few Diet Cokes here and there if I'm out at a restaurant, but that has been maybe 1 a week. At home I am drinking carbonated water and filtered water. Much healthier.

For a while I had stopped drinking coffee, too. In fact, I went for 3 days last week without any caffeine whatsoever, even going as far as ordering a Carmel Apple Cider at Starbucks instead of my usual White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha (or some other frilly, high calorie drink). I had survived the withdrawal headaches, and felt good. But on day four, I was feeling soooo sluggish, and really wanted a cup of coffee. I gave in.

I have decided that a cup of coffee a day is fine. Many people have this habit, and it's no big deal. But it stops there. I will not be bringing Diet Coke into the house, nor will I be drinking multiple cups a day. I feel much better about this decision...it's now a mini-addiction, instead of a major one.

Thanks for all the encouragement!

5 comments:

  1. Good job!! It is a really hard addiction to break. I have coffee every morning and then usually one or two glasses of diet Dr. Pepper in the afternoon. I really need to limit my intake!!

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on kicking the caffeine habit. I haven't had any soda including diet in years. I drink coffe....max is 2 cups a day. If you want the coffee taste without the caffeine try the Starbucks Via decaf.....it is awesome. It is the best instant I have EVER had!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! You know I am proud of you and a cup a day is totally fine as you know. I am glad you got the soda out of your diet. Very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you've proved that it's not an addiction, it's a habit or a routine. It would not have been so easy to go cold turkey like that if it were an addiction. Congrats on getting over it though, it's a big step, I know.
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a cup of coffee a day...but be smart about it, have a small/Tall instead of a large/Venti, and have a brewed coffee instead of a frilly drink that has a ton of sugar and multiple shots of espresso; heck you can even throw some flavoring into it if that's what you need.
    I applaud you for kicking the soda habit, that stuff will kill you slowly. Any soda, I don't care what it is, is baaaaad. You don't need it, your kids certainly don't need it, I say we boycott the whole industry!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job!! It can be tough but it's so worth it for the good health that it brings. And yes, one cup of coffee a day is ok. Good for you for bringing back some balence!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!