September 20, 2010

Triathlon Training Update!

As I recently posted, I completed the AFC Half Marathon in August and the Disneyland Half Marathon three weeks later (you can click the links for my race recaps). My next two challenges are coming up quickly: my first ever triathlon, on October 3, and a DOUBLE triathlon on October 30.

The double triathlon is new. It's the inaugural year for the race; fitting that it's taking place in Mission Bay, which is actually the birthplace of the first-ever triathlon. I got an email about it last week, which talked about the race and it's unique swim/bike/run/swim/bike/run format. When I got the email, the first thing I thought was, "that sounds like fun!". I guess that shows just how addicted to the sport I've become, even though I've yet to actually do my first tri!

Training has been a bit rough. I had injured myself before the Disneyland Half, and was worried about running it. As it turns out, I was pain-free throughout the race, and even set a personal record! However, as soon as I crossed the finish line my foot started to hurt again. I went a few days later to Urgent Care for an x-ray, which showed no fracture; the doctor said my foot was sprained. In these last two weeks, I've remained non-impact....I still exercise every day (or almost every day) but I am swimming, biking, and substituting the elliptical machine at the gym for running. Additionally, after my last swim on Friday my left shoulder is hurting me. I feel like I'm falling apart!

Injury aside, however, my training is going well. My swims have improved about 1000%! When I first started to swim (back in June) I could only do a few laps, and took many rest breaks in between. Now I can do 30 laps (60 lengths there and back) non-stop. Most of my stroke is free-style, but I do throw a few lengths of side-stroke in as a "rest". That is about 3/4 of a mile that I'm swimming, non-stop! What an improvement from when I started just a few months ago!

My biking has improved, too. When I first started biking in June, I hadn't been on a bicycle in about ten years, and could barely do a few miles. My longest ride so far was over 21 (hilly!) miles. Much improved. The uphills are still hard for me, but I feel like I'm getting stronger and stronger.

And my running? Well, I haven't run in two weeks, but I know I can do it...I just did 2 half marathons!

My first triathlon is a sprint: 1/4 mile swim in Mission Bay, 15k bike ride (about 9 miles) and 5k run (about 3 miles). Clearly, you can see that I've overtrained for the individual events, and theoretically should be able to do each leg with no problem. The tough part will be doing everything back-to-back-to-back (or, the in case of the double triathlon, back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back!) The double triathlon lengths are even shorter: 250 meter swim (about 1/8 mile), 5 mile bike ride and 2 mile run. But that will be a lot to do.

I'm hoping my foot and shoulder get better soon! I want to do the best I can, and racing injured or hurt won't be fun. I'm looking forward to giving a race recap in a few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments!