September 22, 2010

My 2011 Race Calendar

Last night I realized that I would not be able to complete my "Plan A" of half marathon races in 2011. My original plan was to Triple Crown. The Triple Crown is a medal that you get if you finish 3 half marathons (Carlsbad, La Jolla, and America's Finest City) within one calendar year. I was set to do those three, plus possibly run the Disneyland one again, and those would be my 2011 races. I am already signed up to run Carlsbad on January 23, and although I was dreading La Jolla (those hills are notoriously killer) I really wanted the Triple Crown Medal.

However, I looked at the calender last night and realized that I am not going to be able to run La Jolla! I have a family function on the same day, and family always comes first. I was very upset, as this put a huge damper on my race plans for next year. However, now I have my "Plan B"...I will still get my 3-4 half marathons in (which is important to me, as I want to keep a base of 8-10 miles for my long runs in order to keep myself bone-healthy).

So, here is my new proposed half marathon schedule for 2011:

Carlsbad Half Marathon in January
Rock 'n Roll San Diego Half Marathon in June
Disneyland Half Marathon in September
Silver Strand Half Marathon in November

That gives me my half marathons, and I will also be signing up for a few triathlons (assuming that I enjoy them; my first one is in a week and a half!) I am thinking of the SuperSeal and San Diego International Triathlon, both of which are about double the length of the sprints I'll be doing in October, but which may give me a challenge to work toward (and keep me heart-healthy!)

Of course, all of this depends on me staying injury-free. Right now I have a sprained foot and a hurt shoulder, making running and swimming out of the question. I have a doctor's appointment in a few days to assess the situation. Working out is supposed to make me healthier, not hurt! But I have faith I will heal, and I am looking forward to these new challenges I have set for myself next year. And in 2012, you can bet I'll be working toward that coveted Triple Crown medal!

1 comment:

I love to read your comments!