May 15, 2010

Feeling better!

If you read my last post, you know I was really down about A's language delay. I hate feeling down about it---the fact that she is speaking at all is amazing and a miracle unto itself. I guess it's just that she is doing soooooooo well in every other area of her life (we're getting the feeding tube removed in a few months, she is now walking, she is thriving at school, etc) that when one area doesn't show the same rapid success I get sad.

The thing is, I have to remember that nothing she has done has had rapid success! She is walking, yes, but not until age 3 1/2! It was a long road! And yes, we are getting her feeding tube removed soon, but she had been on a feeding tube since she was 2 days old, and it was a long process getting her to eat, drink and in the quantities it requires to maintain her weight. So why should I expect speech and language to go any differently? She IS getting there....just on her own time frame.

This week, not only did she use the word "are" and "him", but she also answered several "wh" questions, including "which of your friends do you want to see at school today?" and "what was your favorite thing at Sea World today?"

She is on fire....and she is a blaze of glory.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you're feeling better. We all go through these down periods...hey, with or without parenting a child with special needs! We're always working on helping our kids accomplish more and that can be so overwhelming at times. You're right, A is definitely getting there, and that's a reason to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes she is on fire, and she is a blaze of glory. Awesome mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by to 'meet' us. I have skimmed through your blog and realize we have written about the same wonders and concerns for our children. Don't mind if I follow along, do ya'?

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!