February 15, 2011

The Age of Innocence

I've written before (as recently as last week) about how much I am enjoying the stage of life that my son, D, is in. He is 6 years old (almost 7) and in 1st grade. This age definitely has it's challenges: he is starting to assert his independence, he thinks he knows it all, and I would LOVE to know if anyone has a way to to help him keep his hands to himself! But the positives overwhelmingly outweigh the negatives. He is just adorable.

A few nights ago we began to read Harry Potter together. He is more than ready for this book; he is a voracious reader who is reading way beyond the first grade level. He is currently reading Narnia! I've been holding off on giving him Harry Potter, because some of the content can be a bit scary. However, J and I discussed it and we realized that the Star Wars book he reads have just the same level of action and adventure!

Instead of giving him the books to read, I am reading them to him. We just started a few nights ago, so we are only in chapter 3 of book 1. I anticipate it will take quite some time to get through these, but I am really enjoying it. First, I LOVE the world of Harry Potter, and I am excited to be the one to expose D to it. Second, I am enjoying re-reading the book! I have only read each book once, so it's fun for me to experience it again. And third, it's nice to have reading time again with D. In recent months he has wanted to read by himself (this kid can finish a book in no time flat) and I have missed the special time of snuggling on his bed and reading with him.

Reading to him is making me cherish him even more. He is so innocent right now. He doesn't know anything about sex or drugs; he doesn't know any bad words (except for "stupid" and "dumb"); he doesn't know about bigotry and anti-semitism and racism and intolerance. All of this will change at some point, obviously, but it's so nice to enjoy my baby so innocent, so full of wonder, in awe of the world.

I know he has to grow up at some point; in fact, he already is! I'm just dreading the day when his innocence is truly lost. Childhood is magic, and it's times like this when I just love being a mother.

5 comments:

  1. This post made me smile! I hope that I can someday have experiences like this with my someday-children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe this-----I just had a random thought a few days ago about how innocent my grandkids are and how sad it will be when this changes. We are on the same wavelength, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! It's sad that some kids at age 6 aren't very innocent anymore. I'm glad to hear that your son is still there. He sounds like a great kid!! That's all I want for my kids. To keep their innocence!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea! I'm so glad he, and you, are enjoying the magical world of Mr. Potter. And yes, I hear you on the innocence. In some ways Paulo's been exposed to more than I would like. He's dealt with bullying at school, he's heard a few choice words here and there, but through it all he's maintained his sense of sweetness and wonder, I hope that never changes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sugar,

    Cherish every chapter. My son (10 yrs) and I have been reading HP for the last couple of years (we're trying to stretch it out), and we're almost done with book 6. It's the ultimate bonding experience, and I'm sad that the end is in sight. Fortunately we've got a big list of books to read after that.

    P.S. I'm enjoying reading your blog... you might have a memoir on your hands one of these days.

    xoxo JG

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments!